UPDATE: Police confirm CMU shooting victims were parents of the suspected shooter

An ambulance arrives at the Campbell dormitory at Central Michigan University in Mount Pleasant where the parents of a student were shot to death Friday, March 2, 2018. (WWMT/Mike Krafcik)

6 PM UPDATE: Authorities have confirmed that James Eric Davis, Sr., and Diva Jeneen Davis -- the parents of the suspected shooter -- were killed Friday in a Central Michigan University dormitory. The two where there to pick up their son, James Davis Jr., for spring break.

Multiple police agencies - more than 100 officers - continue to search for the suspect.

All planned campus events and activities are cancelled until further notice. Classes at the Mount Pleasant campus scheduled for Saturday, March 3, are cancelled.


Police are going building by building evacuating the campus at Central Michigan University, which was on it's last day of classes Friday before spring break when the shooting occurred.

Central Michigan University Police Lt. Larry Klaus also said that the shooting suspect, James Davis, has not been seen by any law enforcement teams involved in the search.


Central Michigan State University is still in a lock down as a multi-agency police team searches for the suspect in the fatal shooting of two people in a campus dormitory.

Police are searching for 19-year-old James Eric Davis Jr., whom they believe is still inside the city limits of Mount Pleasant, and they have warned the public not to confront him.

Police officers from both the university and Mount Pleasant departments said in a noon news conference that the public should consider Davis armed and dangerous. Anyone who sees him should call 911 immediately, they said.

Davis is a student at Central Michigan, the offices confirmed, but the two people who died in the shooting were not students. Nor where they staff or faculty at the university, said Central Michigan police Lt. Larry Klaus.

"We have cameras that saw him exiting the north towers complex and running along the railroad grade," Klaus said.

Everyone on campus has been ordered to shelter in place, and parents coming to pick up students for spring break are encouraged to stay off the campus. Parents should go to the Comfort Inn, at 2424 S. Mission St.

"We're asking that community members call us," Klaus said. "Call 911 if you see this individual and he should be considered armed and dangerous."

The shooting occurred about 9 a.m. Friday, just an hour after Davis returned from an overnight stay at Central Michigan University Hospital, Klaus said. Police said it is unclear exactly what Davis was being treated for, but it might have been related to a drug use incident. The two victims were found in the residence hall.

Klaus said Davis had been taken to a hospital Thursday night by campus police because of a drug-related health problem, possibly an overdose. No other details were released.

Police are not confirming the names of those who died, but Klaus said they believe the shooting was a "family tyupe incident."

Klaus also confirmed that Central Michigan has a no weapons policy on campus.

Davis is described as 5-foot-10-inches tall and weighing about 135 pounds. Klaus said he was last seen running from the dormitory wearing mustard yellow jeans and a blue hoodie. However, he said, several articles of clothing were found along the railroad right of way in the direction that Davis ran.

The shooting occurred on the last day of classes before spring break at the Mount Pleasant campus, which is about 70 miles (112.6 kilometers) north of Lansing. Parents who were trying to pick up students were told instead to go to a local hotel where staff would assist them while the manhunt was ongoing.

Halie Byron, 20, said she locked herself in her off-campus house, about a 10-minute walk from Campbell Hall. She had planned to run errands before traveling home to the Detroit area.

"It's scary thinking about how easy a shooter can come into a college campus anywhere — a classroom, a library. There's so much easy access," Byron said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Editor's Note: This article has been adjusted from its original post to correct the hospital that Davis was taken to Thursday.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off