MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Man injured in propane tank explosion at Michigan bible camp

A facilities manager at a West Michigan bible camp was airlifted after a propane tank explosion in Jones, Michigan on Sunday, according to Cass County Sheriff's Office. (WSBT CONTRIBUTION)

A facilities manager at a West Michigan bible camp was airlifted after a propane tank explosion in Jones, Michigan on Sunday, according to Cass County Sheriff's Office.

Deputies with the office responded to the Bair Lake Bible Camp in Jones around 9:20 a.m. after reports of an explosion. Upon their arrival, police found that 44-year-old David Stiles of Jones was doing maintenance treatment on a cabin when the propane tank exploded. Stiles was injured and airlifted to South Bend Memorial Hospital by MedFlight.

In addition, the cabin Stiles was working on had caught fire, which was extinguished by the Newberg Township Fire Department. Stiles' medical status is currently unknown and the incident remains under investigation.

Sheriff Richard Behnke and the Cass County Sheriff's Office remind those using propane tanks to be careful and aware of a rotten egg smell, signaling leaking propane. Tanks can easily be ignited and cause injuries. If you experience a propane leak, contact emergency services right away.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending