Detectives release details of Ionia County murder-suicide investigation

Details regarding the murder-suicide in Ionia County occurring on January 6 have been released by the Ionia County Sheriff's Department. (Courtesy of the Ionia County Sheriff's Department)

Details regarding the murder-suicide in Ionia County that occurred on January 6 have been released by the Ionia County Sheriff's Department.

The Ionia County Sheriff’s Office continued to investigate the homicide-suicide that occurred on I-96 near Nash Hwy in Boston Township.

Detectives say that David Somers of Kaleva had shot and killed his wife, Lisa Somers, and then shot Lisa’s 18-year-old daughter, Amedy Dewey of Kaleva who survived.

Detectives were able to meet with and interview Amedy Dewey during this investigation, She continues to recover from her injuries.

Ionia County investigation showed Lisa Somers and Amedy Dewey had just returned to Michigan from a scheduled cruise vacation on January 6 by flying from Florida into the Gerald R. Ford International Airport in Grand Rapids.

David Somers was booked to attend the cruise with them; however, he opted not to go the cruise the day before they were set to depart.

David Somers had picked up Lisa Somers and Amedy Dewey approximately 20 to 30 minutes prior to the shooting and was driving them to Midland, where Amedy Dewey was staying with a friend.

Authorities say the homicide and shooting was preceded by an argument between David and Lisa, with Lisa making accusations of David’s infidelity in the marriage which included an argument with David over the phone and in text messages prior to the two women taking a connecting flight from Florida to Michigan.

When they left the airport, David Somers had been driving the couple’s 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. Detectives believe neither Lisa Somers nor Amedy Dewey knew that there was a shotgun in the back of the car.

When David was driving eastbound on I-96, the argument continued and escalated.

This caused David to become angry and begin driving erratically on the freeway, traveling at very excessive speeds for the road conditions. The erratic driving was reported by independent witnesses who contacted the Sheriff’s Office in the days after the incident.

While on I-96, investigators said David became extremely angry, then suddenly slowed the vehicle and pulled it off the roadway coming to a stop, before getting out of the vehicle and walking toward the back of the car. Lisa and Amedy both got out of the vehicle when Amedy reported hearing her mother yell, “He’s got a gun!”

Amedy immediately got back into the car in the back seat and tried her best to lay across the seat and hide from David. She reported that she was trying to call 911 on her phone but was unsuccessful before David Somers shot her.

She reported looking back over her shoulder just before she was shot, and that it took her a moment to realize what had happened to her. The single shot was reportedly from a 12-gauge slug which struck her in the face and head, causing very severe injury.

Investigators had previously determined the shot came from the back of the car through the opened lift gate. Amedy did not see or hear what happened to her mother.

Amedy told Ionia Sheriff’s Detectives that her immediate instinct was, “I’m not going to die. This is not how I’m going to die!”

Amedy described to detectives the steps she took to save her own life, including trying to use her cell phone to call for help, climbing over the front seat to use the horn and lights on the car, and getting out at one point to try and flag down passing motorists.

Witnesses calling 911 that evening reported seeing someone at the back of the car looking like they were trying to flag down cars. Nobody calling at that time knew the extent of the situation.

Investigation at the scene determined that David Somers then shot Lisa Somers once, also with a 12-gauge slug, before turning the gun on himself. The shotgun was found underneath David Somers body at the scene, according to the investigation.

The Sheriff's Office said it is unknown if David Somers was under the effect of alcohol or narcotics, pending toxicology reports.

Investigators said they learned through interviews that David Somers was reportedly being treated for a brain mass or a brain tumor, which may have also contributed to this incident but the exact extent of how much is unknown and will likely never be known.

Additional investigation is ongoing in this case, as investigators wait on autopsy and toxicology reports, as well as other forensic testing before being able to close the case.

Detectives said they left their meeting with Amedy Dewey with a "tremendous amount of respect for the courage, tenacity, and strength that this young woman has displayed both during and after this ordeal as she continues to recover from his terrible incident."

A GoFundMe has been started for Amedy Dewey. You can find the link here.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off