KDPS officer saves man asleep inside burning home
KALAMAZOO, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Kalamazoo Public Safety is battling a house fire Wednesday morning.
Flames broke out around 6:50 a.m. at the home in the 900 block of James Street in Kalamazoo.
The Fire Marshal tells Newschannel 3 the fire started on the second floor of the home.
Sergeant Jason Hendrick tells our crew on scene another officer actually went into the burning home shortly after arriving on scene to find a man asleep on the first floor of the home. He was able to get that man out safely.
We are told this building was a single family home converted into two apartments. The fire started in the apartment on the second floor which was unoccupied, but gas and electricity are still hooked up to the unit.
No one was hurt in the fire.
Firefighters are now looking into what sparked the flames.