BATTLE CREEK, Mich. — Firefighters battled a house fire in Battle Creek early Friday morning, as frigid temperatures once again took hold in West Michigan.
Crews were called to the home in the 100 block of North Broad Street before 6:30 a.m. Friday.
The fire chief, Brian Sturdivant, told Newschannel 3 no one was inside the home at the time of the fire. A neighbor called 911 after spotting flames.
Firefighters had the fire mostly out by 7:45 a.m. and were continuing to put out hot spots at the time.
At one point, firefighters had to back out of the house and fight the fire defensively because the flames were too intense when they were inside, according to Chief Sturdivant. He said one firefighter was injured after falling down in the backyard, but the firefighter refused treatment.
Investigators were working to figured out what sparked the flames, but firefighters said early evidence showed it may have started in the kitchen.
Chief Sturdivant reminded residents the fire department had smoke detectors available for free at the fire station if any local families needed one for their home.