KALAMAZOO, Mich. — Consumers Energy announced the all clear would be given at midnight Friday, Feb. 1, 2019.
Consumers Energy CEO Patti Poppe said the conservation request to set thermostats at 65 degrees would remain until midnight after a public appeal made Wednesday. A fire at 10:33 a.m. damaged equipment at the Ray Natural Gas Compressor Station in Macomb County. There were no injuries and the fire remains under investigation.
“There is no doubt the gas reduction efforts by residents and businesses across the Lower Peninsula played a key role in helping maintain natural gas flow in our distribution system at a time when it was critically needed,” Poppe said. “Because of the swift action of all, we were able to continue critical services – from the bottom of my heart and on behalf of the men and women of Consumers Energy, we thank you.”
Poppe said the compressor damaged in the fire was replaced and back online.
Many companies shut down Thursday to help Consumers conserve natural gas and Poppe said all the companies did so voluntarily.
Poppe said during a news conference that the natural gas usage was reduced by 10 percent.