Battle Creek Police make arrests, rescue possible human trafficking victim

Battle Creek Police make arrests, rescue possible human trafficking victim

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Battle Creek police have arrested two men, and rescued a young human trafficking victim.

Battle Creek detectives tell us they are still very much in the middle of this investigation, and can't risk tainting it, because it has the potential of becoming a federal case. As a result, there is very little information they are willing or able to share at this point.

But we did speak with a neighbor who saw it all unfold late last week.

“I saw a bunch of cop cars parked outside of our house,” said Mary Moore.

Moore tells us she saw about a dozen Battle Creek police cars parked outside of the home on Lakeview Avenue, around 9:30 p.m. last Thursday.

But she had no idea why.

“It had to have been like half hour, 45 minutes, they brought out one person. It was a fairly large black man and they had him in cuffs,” Moore said.

About 30 minutes later, another person was brought out.

“They brought out a young girl, she couldn't have been any older than 21, she had blonde hair. They put her, they had an ambulance waiting next to the cop car,” said Moore.

A source tells us the girl was just a teenager.

According to police documents, a welfare check brought officers to the home, and that's when they found the girl.

The report states she was a victim of human trafficking and criminal sexual conduct.

“That's horrifying because I'm a victim of the same thing,” said Moore.

Moore tells us she was trafficked as a child, and says more needs to be done to help victims.

“They get their victim so scared out of their minds. They threatened to kill them, they threatened to kill people close to them that they love,” she said. “I do not feel safe anywhere now. I don't. My, you know, I'm struggling--I'm still struggling to this day.”

According to the report, police also found a large amount of cocaine and marijuana as well as two handguns, one of them had been stolen.

Detectives tell me two men were arrested; one is still in jail.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off