Series of crashes on Interstate 94 in West Michigan snarls traffic, blocks lanes
The MiDrive map operated by the Michigan Departmetn of Transportation was showing numerous crashes Friday, Jan. 25, 2019, as snow, ice and below freezing temperatures created dangerous driving conditions. (WWMT/MDOT,MiDrive)
Westbound Interstate 94 near Lawrence Road in Van Buren County was shut down just after 10 a.m. Friday, due to a crash.
The crash, at exit 52, is one of a series of incidents reported by the Michigan Department of Transportation that blocked lanes or closed down the freeway within an hour or so of each other. Additional crashes were reported on Interstate 96 in Ottawa County.
Additional closures due to crashes included:
- Southbound I-196 was reduced to one lane about 11 a.m. for a crash in Allegan County, near exit 41 for the Blue Star Highway.
- Westbound I-94 near exit 33 in Berrien County.
- Westbound left lane blocked on I-94 at Hartford, exit 46, in Van Buren County.
- The right lane is blocked near exit 30 on eastbound I-94 after U.S. 31, Napier Avenue in Berrien County.
- I-94 eastbound is closed at Union Pier Road, exit 6, near mile marker 10.
- All eastbound lanes blocked at Sawyer Road, exit 12, in Berrien County.
- The left lane was blocked on the westbound side at mile marker 18.8, near Grand Mere Road, exit 22.
- The westbound right lane of Interstate 96 near 16th Avenue in Ottawa County.
- Westbound I-94 at Coloma, near exit 39, was closed, but cleared by 10:45 a.m.
For more traffic reports, visit MiDrive or the Newschannel 3 traffic page.