WWMT - wwmt.com - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Kalamazoo man arrested on suspected DUI charges after crashing into a house

KALAMAZOO, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Kalamazoo Public Safety says they now have a man in custody who they say fled the scene after crashing his car into a house.

It happened around 4AM April 11th at a home in the 4,300 block of W. Michigan Avenue.

The driver, a 21 year old Kalamazoo man was located in the 2,800 block of Westbrook in a house. He has been arrested and is facing multiple charges including leaving the scene of an accident, driving under the influence and driving on a suspended license.

The crash this morning was a rude awakening for several WMU students who live in the house.

Terra Mosquedo says she was sleeping when it happened, "all of a sudden I felt and heard a giant crash," she says. "We all ran down stairs and saw the car was right there, the guy was scrambling around clearly drunk."

Mosquedo says the driver walked into their home and begged them not to call police. "He told us don't call the cops, don't call the cops and I said you just hit our house I kind of have to."

"It felt like an earthquake," says Taylor Johnson, "nothing else to describe it. He was clearly drunk and belligerent. He didn't even realize he had blood on his face. It was completely cut up."

They say he stumbled then got a bunch of stuff out of the car and ran.

"It was scary," Says Alexandri Bilicke, "you could hear the bricks falling. It was so loud, the whole house shook. "

Kalamazoo Public Safety Officers set up a perimeter at W. Michigan for several blocks they even brought in a K9 unit to track the suspect but they didn't find him.

The crash also brought down power lines prompting officials to shut down the road for more than an hour.

Kalamazoo Public Safety Chief Jeff Hadley says the house sustained considerable damage and will need to be inspected before the residents are allowed back in.