WWMT Newschannel 3 :: Search Results
Firefighters brave sub-zero temps to battle fire
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Firefighters in Grand Rapids were out in the sub-zero temperatures into the early hours of the morning to put out hotspots of a house fire.
Around 9:00 Monday night crews were called to the 1200 block of Oakleigh Road Northwest on a report of a house fire.
When firefighters arrived on scene they found the family of five had escaped safely.
The homeowner told the Grand Rapids Battalion Chief he noticed a couch was on fire towards the back of the house.
Fire crews say the freezing temps did cause some problems when it came to getting the fire out.
"We had problems with nozzle freezing initially - even when we were inside the building we were hampered by the cold without a doubt tonight," said Battalion Chief Kevin Sehlmeyer.
The homeowner acknowledged there was a space heater around where the fire started.
The official cause will be investigated by the fire marshal.