WWMT Newschannel 3 :: Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

UPDATED: One killed, two injured in a house fire in Battle Creek

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - A family is in mourning Friday after a young, disabled man was killed in a house fire.

The Battle Creek Fire Department was called to the home on Summer Street just before midnight.

Neighbors tell Newschannel 3 they woke up to huge flames shooting out of the house. They heard screams from two people stuck on the roof shouting that two people were still trapped inside.

"I tried going in the back door and I was just covered in smoke as soon as I went in the door" says neighbor Brad Stillwell, "was in there two seconds, came out, went inside my house, grabbed a hammer, went to the side door and broke it open and tried using my body to force myself in and I couldn't get in."

"It looked like it was coming out of our house it was that close and that far," recalls Stacie Mahmat. "We went back and it was shooting out everywhere to the point where the firemen weren't even able to get in."

Fire crews say they found the body of a young man who died on the first floor.

The Family has identified the victims to Newschannel 3 but asked that we not release their names until all family could be notified.

They do tell us the victim was disabled. Neighbors say he will be missed, they say he brought a sense of joy to the community.

"Every time I'd take my son to school in the mornings he'd be up and waving, " says Stacie, "and so would his mom just waving to me and saying hi, just such friendly people."

Meantime family say the victims mother and father have been transported to a burn unit in Kalamazoo.

The father suffered burns to 8% of his body, mom suffered burns to 16% of her body. Both are reportedly on ventilators and in stable condition.
Two others in the home were treated and released.

"We have a very unfortunate situation here" says Inspector Quincy Jones, "we've had one fatality as a result of this fire. We're going to do some serious investigation to try and figure out what happened."

At this time, the preliminary cause of the fire has been identified as electrical. Fire officials speculate that the fire may have begun in a bedroom and may have been a result of a space heater.