WWMT Newschannel 3 - Search Results
No charges after child accidentally left on bus
KALAMAZOO, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - The Kalamazoo County Prosecutor's office has just announced that there will not be charges filed against a Kalamazoo Public Schools bus driver accused of leaving a kidergartener on the bus.
It's a story Newschannel 3 first broke earlier this month.
5-year-old Mya King told her mother that the bus driver stopped at Wendy's and left her on the bus on the first day of school.
The mother says she was told surveillance video shows the girl sitting in the front seat with the door wide open.
On Tuesday, however, Chief Assistant Prosecutor Carrie Klein confirmed that upon review, the actions of the bus driver did not meet the criteria for charges to be filed.
Klein told Newschannel 3 that the statute under which the driver could have been charged would require that the child be exposed to an "unreasonable risk of harm."
She says the evidence presented did not meet that standard, as video showed the girl was left in the bus for about 4 minutes, and it appears the driver was not aware she was there.