WWMT Newschannel 3 - Search Results
Boy ill after June mercury spill; cleanup Saturday
WILLIAMSTON, Mich. (AP) - Officials have learned that a vial of mercury carried by a 12-year-old boy on his bike broke in June and spilled in the driveway of a high school in Ingham County.
Williamston Superintendent Narda Murphy says the June incident was unknown until the boy became ill and officials learned what happened. She says tests show a small amount of mercury, probably less than a teaspoon.
A spot along the driveway curb will be cleaned Saturday at Williamston High School, east of Lansing.
Amy Ann Moore of the Ingham County Health Department says the mercury belonged to the boy's late grandfather. She says the boy was exposed to mercury all summer from a contaminated duffel bag. His home also was contaminated.
Mercury exposure can cause brain and kidney damage.