Updated: 'Suspicious fumes' cause evacuation in Caledonia
Updated: Wednesday, April 17 2013, 08:41 AM EDT
CALEDONIA, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) – Crews in Caledonia are trying to figure out what caused a hazardous situation at Aspen Surgical Products Tuesday night.
The plant is located near 68th Street and Broadmoor Avenue Southeast.
First responders were called to the scene with reports of suspicious gas fumes in the building.
The entire building was evacuated.
More than 60 employees were triaged on scene and 13 of those were transported to area hospitals in serious condition.
Those victims have been upgraded to good condition and appear to be improving.
The Caledonia Fire Department says they are still investigating the fumes.
"Right now readings are going down. We'll vent the building and try to determine from there if they come back tomorrow morning,” says Caledonia Fire Chief Brian Bennett. “We'll work with the maintenance and we'll go from there, but they have not found anything definite at all that caused the issue."
The fire chief also said that HAZMAT believes it to be a combination of problems but have not determined the exact cause.