MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Michigan House Republicans roll out plan for the next two years

MICHIGAN (NEWSCHANNEL 3) – On Thursday Michigan House Republicans rolled out their plan for the next two years.

That plan calls for tax relief, as well as fixing roads and bridges, but the Republican’s wide-ranging plan doesn’t say how they plan to pay for all of their proposals.

Speaker Tom Leonard and Rep. Tim Kelly tell Newschannel 3 that the details will get hammered out within the next few months.

“I think that it’s a bold plan,” said Rep. Kelly.

Kelly is rolling out an agenda in the state House of Representatives that calls for fixing roads, helping Michigan farmers thrive, halting the opioid epidemic, and making state government more transparent.

“Every two year plan, we’ve basically accomplished about 80 percent of what we set out to do,” said Rep. Kelly. “It’s those remaining 20 percent that keep getting bounced from term to term and it’s the big stuff, it’s the things that nobody wants to tackle.”

One of those issues is auto no-fault reform, which Republicans are vowing to tackle to reduce high auto insurance rates.

The Republican plan doesn’t say how Republicans will do that, but Republican Peter Lucido has an idea; require police officers to confiscate license plates of uninsured drivers and require them to buy six months of insurance.

“Try to get the illegals off the road that shouldn’t be there to begin with,” said Rep. Lucido, “it will automatically reduce the number of those people driving without insurance, thereby reducing the number of accidents, thereby reducing our premiums.”

The Republican plan also calls for rolling back business regulations. Republican Brandt Iden chairs the House Regulatory Reform Committee. He says he wants to cut 30 percent of the state’s regulations to grow jobs.

“I know at the federal government level the president has said 75 percent of the business regulations,” said Rep. Iden. “We’ve done a good job with that in Michigan and we continue to move forward on that.”

“I’ve seen this before and it hasn’t worked,” said Democratic Representative Jon Hoadley.

Rep. Hoadley says the Republican plan lacks specifics, and he’s also critical of House Republicans for trying to eliminate Michigan’s personal income tax.

“There’s no way to pay for the things they are thinking of doing,” said Rep. Hoadley. “This is a case of all foam, no beer. It’s something they’ve put out so their big political donors feel better about giving to the Republican party.”

Meanwhile, House Republicans say their plan is just the first step. The plan also calls for expanding skilled trades, helping those who are mentally ill, and extending internet service to rural areas.

Trending