Dangerous toxins found in Ohio water
TOLEDO, Ohio (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Water at a Toledo, Ohio, treatment plant has tested positive for a dangerous toxin -- and nearly 500,000 people have been told not to drink the tap water.
Ohio's Gov. John Kasich has declared a state of emergency in three counties.
According to an alert issued by the city of Toledo, chemists were conducting tests at the city's Collins Water Treatment Plant when samples tested positive for microcystin, a toxin possibly caused by an algae bloom in Lake Erie.
Now, thousands of people are flocking to Toledo shopping areas to buy bottled water.
Some Michigan communities are also affected by Toledo's water problems, including Luna Pier and Bedford and Erie townships in Monroe County.