WMU implements clear bag policy at Waldo Stadium
KALAMAZOO, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) —
To enhance existing security measures and expedite entry at Waldo Stadium for home Western Michigan University football games, a new clear bag policy has been implemented.
The policy, which regulates the size and type of bags that may be carried into the stadium, became effective Sept. 1.
WMU Senior Athletic Director Monty Porter said while the practice should increase speed at the gates for those needing to have bags checked, ultimately it's about creating a safer environment for all fans.
The following types of bags will be allowed:
• Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches in size.
• Clear bags may have a logo on one side as long as that logo does not exceed 4 inches by 3.4 inches.
• Small clutch bags with or without a handle or strap that do not exceed 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches or approximately the size of a hand.
• One-gallon clear plastic freezer bags such as Ziploc brand bags.
Each person may bring in one large clear bag plus a small clutch that does not exceed 4.5 by 6.5 inches. The small clutch allows privacy for small personal items and also is easily searched. Keys, wallets, phones and other small items that fit in pockets or clutch bags are not limited. Fans may carry a blanket over their arms, and binoculars or a camera around their necks or in their hands without the case. The clear bag and clutch may also be used to carry these and other permissible items.
Exceptions will be made for medical items or a diaper bag (with a small child) needed after a proper inspection by security at the gate before entry. Authorities reserve the right to inspect any item at any time. WMU is not responsible for any items left at the gate or in the stadium.
Approved clear bags may be purchased at the WMU Bookstore and wmubroncosgear.com.
Prohibited items must be returned to cars or disposed of before entering Waldo Stadium. Prohibited bags include, but are not limited to:
• Clutch bags larger than a hand
• Duffle bags
• Cinch bags
• Mesh bags
• Fanny packs that are not clear or exceed the size limit
• Camera bags or cases
• Binocular bags or cases
• Tinted or patterned plastic bags
• Any bag larger than regulated size
In addition to bags not meeting the clear bag policy, there are several other items prohibited at Waldo Stadium. Find a complete list at wmubroncos.com.
There will be an exception specifically for credentialed individuals who bring bags that do not meet the policy guidelines. Bags are still subject to search upon entry.
For details on the new security measures, visit wmubroncos.com/clearbagpolicy.