MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

New information coming out about reports of sexual assault on Colon school bus

New information coming out about reports of sexual assault on Colon school bus

COLON, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - We're learning new information tonight about reports of sexual assault on a Colon school bus earlier this year.

We first broke this story on Tuesday, involving a 15-year-old boy inappropriately touching a 6-year-old girl, and now there are reports of more victims.

Newschannel 3 has been following this case from the very beginning.

On Friday, we spoke with the Saint Joseph County Prosecuting Attorney, who said a failure to report charge against the bus driver involved in this case has been dismissed.

That driver was charged with failing to report the 15-year-old's behavior.

According to a Colon police warrant, a 6-year-old girl warned the bus driver about the 15-year-old’s behavior on the bus multiple times.

Police reports confirm that up to seven other children were touched inappropriately.

Court records provided to us by parents show the 15-year-old is facing juvenile criminal sexual assault charges.

The county prosecuting attorney says charges against the bus driver were dropped because of a loophole in the law, which states that mandated reporting isn't required for abuse between juveniles.

"Under these circumstances, under the current state of our law, he would not have been a mandated reporter, thus we couldn't charge him with failing to report. So the charges against him have been dismissed," said Prosecutor John McDonough.

We have tried repeatedly to get comment from the superintendent of Colon High School about this.

She has refused to do an interview with Newschannel 3. We showed up today, and she wasn’t in the office.

She did release a statement Thursday saying the school is aware of the situation, and has taken measures to prevent it down the road.

Meanwhile, parents say bad behavior extends beyond this incident on the bus.

Trending