Michigan DNR adopts 24-hour deer head drop-off locations for Southwest Michigan
With mandatory registration for several areas of Southwest Michigan due to the presence of chronic wasting disease, the state Department of Natural Resources has established new, unstaffed head drop-off locations in Montcalm and Ionia counties.
The new locations are in addition to staffed deer check stations. And the DNR is reminding hunters that beginning Wednesday, Nov. 15, registration is mandatory for deer harvested in the following townships: Maple Valley, Pine, Douglas, Montcalm, Sidney, Eureka and Fairplain in Montcalm County and Spencer and Oakfield in Kent County.
Heads of all deer must be submitted to a DNR check station or drop-off site within 72 hours of harvest, at which point hunters will be given a CWD tag to confirm the deer were registered properly. For deer where a shoulder mount is desired, hunters may use any licensed taxidermist, but the caped-out head must be submitted to a DNR deer check station or head drop-off site after skinning. If a European or skull mount is desired, please contact the Flat River Field Office at 616-794-2658. Step-by-step instructions will be available at the drop box locations.
If CWD is found in a submitted deer, the hunter will be notified by phone. If CWD is not found, test results will be posted online at mi.gov/dnrlab within seven business days of sample or carcass submission.
Deer heads from the nine townships in Montcalm and Kent may be submitted at the following sites:
- Montcalm Township Hall – 1880 S. Greenville Road, Greenville, MI 48838; deer check station and drop box
- Howard City – 125 E. Shaw St., Howard City, MI 49329; deer check station and drop box
- DNR Flat River Field Office – 6640 Long Lake Drive, Belding, MI 48809; deer check station and drop box
- Parr’s Deer Processing – 2028 W. County Farm Rd., Sheridan, MI 48884; drop box only
Deer heads from outside of those nine townships may be submitted at the following sites:
- Blanchard Thriftway Deer Processing – 903 S. Main St., Crystal, MI 48818; drop box only
- Village Market-Carson City Deer Processing – 10715 E. Carson City Rd., Carson City, MI 48811; drop box only
- Slater’s Deer Processing – 1224 Prairie Creek Rd., Ionia, MI 48846; drop box only