Rain, sleet, caused slide-offs, crashes and power outages across W. Michigan on Sunday
A multi-vehicle crash in Gobles, Michigan sent cars into a ditch Sunday afternoon. It was one of many slide-offs and fender benders on the regions highways as freezing rain turned to rain and then again to sleet, or snow, depending on where you where in West Michigan,
Among the crashes and incidents throughout the day:
- The Michigan Department of Transportation reported that westbound Interstate 94 was blocked for several hours at exit 85, or 35th Street in Kalamazoo County, due to a crash, about midday.
- Sometime in the morning, a tree laden with ice split down the middle, and one half fell over a power line on Michigan 43 near Gull Lake, leaving as many as 1,000 customers without power for several hours.
Throughout the day, emergency and traffic agencies reported accidents across the region. The forecast included continued rain/sleet throughout the night, with a likelihood of it turning to snow Monday. See the Newschannel 3 weather page for more on the forecast.
Power outages also have been reported throughout the region.
In Van Buren County, other crashes that caused traffic snarls for a few hours during the day were:
- The right, northbound lane of I-196 at exit 7 in Van Buren County is blocked due to a crash, the Michigan Department of Transportation reports.
- Eastbound Interstate 94 at exit 46 in Van Buren County is blocked in the right lane only, due to a crash.
- A crash that had blocked traffic both north- and southbound on Michigan 40 at Shaw Road in Van Buren County has been cleared, the Michigan Department of Transportation said.