Back-to-School Recipe: Rainbow Penne Pasta
Serving Size: 1 Cup
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 16-ounce package frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 1 16-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, thinly sliced; slices halved
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup freshly grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to the package directions.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over low heat.
- Add the garlic and sauté 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to fully release into the oil.
- Add the broccoli, beans, pepper, 3 tablespoons water, and salt.
- Cover and adjust heat to medium. Steam, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes, or until the broccoli is hot and the pepper is crisp tender.
- Toss the pasta with the vegetables. Top with the Parmesan cheese and fresh pepper.
For a spicier flavor, add more garlic and/or pepper. Or, substitute any vegetables your children (or you) like, varying cooking time as needed.
SOURCES: Touchpoint Support Services, Borgess Health, Ascension, and Eatright.org
(The Rainbow Penne Pasta Recipe comes from Eatright.org contributor Melissa Ohlson, a registered dietitian and nutritionist.)